The Riff Spirit
Why not explore, innovate, and improvise with a drink as old as time? Well, that’s precisely what cold brewed coffee did. It breathed some fresh life into a staid tradition. And we’re excited to take it from there. See, we love coffee, but even more, we love what happens around coffee: conversations, kinship, long drives, slow meals, ideas. So many ideas. Our vision is to stay loose, say yes, and explore coffee as a starting place for a million other good things—and to keep surprising you (and ourselves) with all the ways we brew, blend, bottle, and tip back some cold brewed coffee together.
The Taproom is our brand epicenter, our “home base,” providing the richest opportunity for our tribe to experience the Riff spirit— it’s about building relationships, being transparent, positive, innovative and having fun— together. In support of this vision, our Sous Chef will collaborate with our Taproom leadership team in creating one of the most refreshing, exciting and interactive food and beverage experiences in the country!
Sous Chef Role
Reports to Chef and Front-of-House Manager
The environment and hospitality programs will be designed to encourage vibrant interaction across a broad spectrum of people. Of course, the best catalyst for meaningful conversation is a great meal. Our Sous Chef will work hand in hand with the Chef to inspire guests from around the world by creating an extraordinarily delicious and fun culinary experience. This key team member will help in designing an ever-evolving menu inspired by our cold brewed coffee, recruit and train best-in-class personnel, oversee day to day activity in the kitchen, play an active role in purchasing, planning, and managing the culinary budget and labor costs.
This position comes with a great deal of responsibility. A successful Sous Chef will quickly amass an in-depth familiarity with the kitchen’s operations so that they may fill in for the Chef when needed and assist them in resolving any problems that may arise on the job.
A Sous Chef must possess the ability to quickly and effectively delegate job tasks to the kitchen staff. They must also be able to draw upon their considerable experience as a culinary chef who has worked in many different roles and settings in order to effectively coach and mentor junior chefs.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish standards of service with management team and assists in assuring the same from all kitchen employees.
- Assists in managing day-to-day operations in the kitchen, coordinate food production schedules to ensure highest level of food quality, taste and presentation.
- Control food costs by assisting in training kitchen staff on proper food preparation and handling methods, as well as training kitchen staff on proper handling of leftover food items.
- Ensure that all kitchen employees consistently adhere to uniform, grooming and appearance standards.
- In conjunction with the Chef and the Riff management team, establish goals for the kitchen, anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipate trends, enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities.
- Establish and require strict adherence to health department food handling and sanitization guidelines. Guide kitchen personnel in safe operating procedures of all equipment and tools.
- In conjunction with the Chef, develop menus as well as create and ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications. Train kitchen staff on all new menus.
- Maintain effective communication within the BOH and FOH staff, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns as well as work to resolve problems.
- Complete and Update daily food order guides based upon scheduled banquet events, ingredient changes and projected levels of business.
- Conduct regular inspections of the entire kitchen/ dishwashing areas, and coolers. promptly act to correct deficiencies found during inspection.
- At least 2 years of full-time back-of-house management experience in the food and beverage industry.
- Demonstrated passion for craft beverages and culinary arts
- Good knife handling skills
- Current Oregon Food Handlers Card
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Full-time position. This position regularly requires long hours and weekend work. Ability to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds, Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours). Able to communicate effectively with managers and kitchen personnel.
Riff Cold Brewed Coffee embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills
We intend to open the Taproom mid November. This position to commence late October to early November.
How to apply
Email resume, cover letter, link to your LinkedIn profile, and 2-3 letters of reference by clicking on the “Apply Now” link below.