January 12th, 2018
The kick-off for our “A ________’s Riff” series, where we collaborate with artisans, bartenders, chefs, bakers, artists—you name it, and ask them: What if? What if cold brewed coffee was used in cocktails? What if it was the base for a steak glaze, wait! A donut glaze. Whether it’s being poured, frozen, mixed, baked, or consumed, we will let you know how it all went down.
Our first collaboration, “The Cold Fashioned,” a cold brewed coffee cocktail recipe, was created by our friend Josue “Sway” Moreno (Senior Restaurant Manager at Urban Farmer at The Nines Hotel in Portland, Oregon). A cold brewed twist on a classic cocktail, the Old Fashioned. Sway, knows a thing or two about questioning convention—watch below to see why he has the title “The Sultan of Sauce.”
the cold fashioned
• 2 oz of James Oliver Rye
• 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
• 2 dashes of Orange Bitters
• ¼ oz of Riff Cold Brewed Coffee Syrup
• Stir in a mixing glass and pour over a large cube of ice. Orange peel garnish.
riff cold brewed coffee syrup
• Combine in a saucepan 2 parts sugar, 2 parts water.
• Bring to a simmer and stir till the sugar is dissolved.
• Add 1 part Riff Cold Brewed Decaf Concentrate.
• Stir and refrigerate to cool.